I had planned on hanging and finishing the new wall board – 40 sheets in all – over the new framing, but got word of a crew that are reasonably priced, fast, and of quality… You usually only get two of those three traits, so I took a chance and brought them on and, oh my, so glad I did! Wonderful work.
The rest of the wall restoration I did myself. This included using Glidwall on the third floor rooms, the half bath on the first floor, and the stairwell walls leading to the basement. Laura had quarter inch drywall hung on many of the ceilings; not of the best quality workmanship, but acceptable with some tweaking. Again, I had to find the right balance of removing compromised areas where the wallpaper was lifting off, and accepting what felt sound but was a little rough to look at – some of which I smoothed over. Old walls have character.
The third floor: