I’m always stunned by how much I underestimate the number of 2×4 studs needed to frame up the walls. In the end, it was close to 120.
The bulk of framing happened in my making of the back bedroom suite. It is easier to get a sense of the space being created with the above photo showing the bottom plates. I made a hallway leading to a small bathroom, with closets on either side. After all the framing goes up, I’ll cut the bottom plates of the door openings.
In the end, I clipped the left closet with a 45 degree corner. Angled walls became an intentional theme in the layout, as they respected the house’s original floor plan. In addition to the existing ones, I also created four angled walls within the house.
The front bedroom suite has an arched opening leading into what was originally another bedroom. This was probably done when the house was converted into a two family. Now there will be a large walk-in closet connected to the office-space, and another smaller closet accessible from the hall.
Plumbers and HVAC contractors from the past were wood butchers! I glued and screwed 3/4 inch plywood to either side of the ‘hacked’ joist prior to running new plumbing.
To run the new plumbing and prep for a recessed medicine cabinet, I opened up the sink wall. I also placed blocking to secure the old free standing pedestal sink I’ll be using.
Well it’s good to know the pros do the same thing. I have to buy materials just about every day when I’m working on a lot.