Stripping the Paint

The house has beautiful natural woodwork.  In the kitchen and bathrooms, the woodwork was painted, which is common, though often they were originally natural.  I returned some, but not all, back to a natural wood finish.  I like getting this done in the beginning phase of the job; that way I won’t get a surprise about how long it takes, and, I assure you, it can be a process!  It’s also very gratifying.  In this case, it wasn’t too bad, since there were only 3 layers of paint over the original shellac finish, which makes it easier.

 

In the downstairs kitchen, the paints adhesion was compromised which helped make the choice to strip the paint.

In the downstairs kitchen, the paint’s adhesion was compromised, which helped make the choice to strip.

I do a combination of stripping techniques, First I will scrape the edges of the trim and the jam, then use a heat gun for the molding and open field work, finally, I'll use a chemical stripper.

I do a combination of stripping techniques.  First I will scrape the edges of the trim and the jam, then use a heat gun for the molding and open field work.  Finally, I’ll use a chemical stripper.

The bathroom and pantry doors in the stripping process

the bathroom and pantry doors in the stripping process

The downstairs bathroom was put in where the service stairs used to be. There is a lovely yet modest  built-in cabinet.

The downstairs bathroom is where the service stairs used to be.  There is a lovely yet modest built-in cabinet.

Curiousity got the best of me! Had to strip it to what was hidden underneath. A beautiful pine door. I'll leave the frame and bathroom trim pained, but happy to have the door natural.

Curiosity got the best of me!  Had to strip it to see what was hidden underneath… a beautiful pine door.  I’ll leave the frame and bathroom trim painted, but happy to have the door natural.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I got lucky with third floor baseboard. It was relatively easy to carefully scrape the paint off then sand and shellac.

I got lucky with the third floor baseboard.  It was relatively easy to carefully scrape the paint off, then sand and shellac.

djfvwjehf

Two windows and their frames were stripped, as well.

dsasd

Done!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Advertisements

About mdejong11

Residential contractor/artist
This entry was posted in Projects/Process and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s